As one of our objectives, the organisation seeks opportunities to participate in the commemoration of internationally recognised days such as International Family Day. This day is important in the organisation’s calendar as it signifies the idea of social cohesion and appreciates the special role of the family unit in a nation. The organisation believes that men are part and parcel of the family unit they should not separate themselves emotionally, physically and economically from the wellbeing of the family.
With this in mind Padare partnered with Power FM DJ, urban groove musicians, high profile soccer officials and cabinet ministers in a soccer match and family day on the 26th of June 2011. The theme of the event was of responsible fatherhood in line with the commemoration day theme of the year “Confronting Family Poverty and Social Exclusion”
The event was marked with a Padare VS Power Fm DJ’s match. This was also used as a day to sensitize these celebrities and high profile men of the importance of responsible fatherhood. We emphasized on the exemplary role they have to play as public figures.
Way forward after the family day
1. Making the matches more organised and periodic
2. Discussion forums and gender trainings for personalities
3. Broadcasting the discussion forums through special programs and music albums
4. Working with media personalities DJs and artists on special commemorations such as 16 days of activism and the provincial day of testing
5. Leaving the doors open for creativity and communication on how best to advance the search for a gender just society
Part of the musicians who took part in the International Families Day commemoration